26. October 2022
After banning all long chain PFAS (Poly- and perfluorinated alkyl substances) from the textile supply chain in 2015, Bluesign is launching the next phase of its PFAS phase-out program to remove PFAS based formulations from bluesign® APPROVED articles and bluesign® PRODUCTS.
With more than 4700 chemicals classified in this group, the subject of poly- and perfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) is complex with each group having distinct characteristics. Certain PFAS have proven to have problematic properties like persistency, bioaccumulation and toxicity. Although it is unclear if and how many substances come with a concerning pattern of hazards, Bluesign goes for a precautionary approach and restricts all PFAS containing formulations. This is in line with current regulatory activities especially in Europe and in the US.
Important deadlines of the phase out are:
- From July 2022 bluesign® FINDER registration of new PFAS based chemicals is no longer possible
- By July 2023 all bluesign® APPROVED PFAS based chemicals will be removed from the bluesign® FINDER
- From July 2023 bluesign® GUIDE registration of new articles that are treated with PFAS based chemicals is no longer possible.
- By July 2024 all bluesign® APPROVED articles that are treated with PFAS based chemicals will be removed from the bluesign® GUIDE
- By January 2025 all bluesign® PRODUCTS that contain materials treated with PFAS based chemicals are removed from the bluesign® GUIDE.
- From January 2025 products that contain materials treated with PFAS chemicals are no longer allowed to be labelled as bluesign® APPROVED or bluesign® PRODUCT.
Few exceptions will be allowed for essential uses that have an important socio-economic benefit (e.g. special high performance PPE) as defined in the EU restriction proposal for PFHxA and related substances once adopted. For details of the bluesign phase out concept please refer to relevant Bluesign guidance sheet.