Do you have a question?
Send us a message. We will answer your question promptly. Please make sure that you have entered your e-mail address correctly.
The bluesign® CRITERIA define the essential requirements within the bluesign® SYSTEM in the form of:
- Requirements for inputs, production sites and products
- Selection of priority substances and substance limits (expressed in the publicly available BSBL and BSSL)
BLUESIGN is committed to revise and improve the bluesign® SYSTEM so that it reflects and meets the requirements of the strictest and most advanced regulations worldwide concerning sustainable textile production, to maintain a high level of product safety, to encourage usage of the latest technology, and to fulfill stakeholder expectations.
The bluesign® CRITERIA are subject to changes in the political, regulatory, scientific, technical and sustainability spheres. For this reason, revision and amendment are necessary at regular intervals (at least every four years) or promptly if there is an urgent need.
Selection and/or amendment of priority substances, updating of related limits, and publishing of related documents (BSBL, BSSL) take place regularly at least every year.
- bluesign® SYSTEM
- bluesign® glossary - Definitions and abbreviations
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites
- bluesign® CRITERIA for converters
- bluesign® CRITERIA for brands
- bluesign® CRITERIA for bluesign® PRODUCT
- bluesign® CRITERIA for bluesign® APPROVED chemical products for endconsumer use
- bluesign® CRITERIA for approved chemical products and articles for industrial use and commission processes
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: VOC management
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Textile Manufacturer
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Surface treatment of metals and plastics/non-textile substrates
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Rating of production sites
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production site - Rating matrix Manufacturer
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - Rating matrix Chemical supplier
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Leather processing
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Garment Manufacturer/ Assembler
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Fiber manufacturing
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Exclusion criteria
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Down and feathers processing
- bluesign® CRITERIA for production sites - ANNEX: Chemical Supplier
The bluesign® SYSTEM BLACK LIMITS (BSBL) specify threshold limits for chemical substances in finished chemical products such as auxiliaries or dyes. The compilation of substances in the BSBL is an extract of the bluesign® TOOL. It includes all substances from the publicly available bluesign® system substances list (BSSL) consumer safety limits for which usage ban in articles is defined. BSBL is revised at least once a year.
The bluesign® SYSTEM SUBSTANCES LIST (BSSL, consumer safety limits) specifies consumer safety limits for chemical substances in articles. Due to the quantity and range of listed substances, BSSL shall not be used for confirmation declarations sent out to the supply chain. The combined use of input stream management, a network of SYSTEM PARTNERS that includes chemical suppliers, and a positive list of preferred chemicals (bluesign® FINDER) ensures compliance with BSSL limits. BSSL is revised at least once a year.
The RESTRICTED SUBSTANCES LIST (RSL) is an extract of the BSSL and contains consumer safety limits and recommended testing methods for the most important and legally restricted substances in textile/leather articles and accessories. Brands and retailers can use this RSL as an orientation for the terms and conditions of purchase and together with a testing matrix as a guide for appropriate testing of articles (such as textiles).RSL is revised on the basis of the BSSL.
Timeframe for implementation
This documents come into effect from 2020-03. For all companies that signed an agreement for an assessment or for a bluesign® SYSTEM PARTNERSHIP before 2020-03 the adapted and newly introduced requirements are binding after a transition period of one year from the date of release.
The textile and apparel industries and their related sectors are characterized by a distributed and diverse global supply chain. The industries increasing resource demand and hazardous chemicals usage along the supply chain leave behind a large negative impact for the environment and society alike.
To counter-act these negative impacts, the bluesign® SYSTEM is a comprehensive, full-package service solution for chemical suppliers, textile and trim manufacturers and brands. This premium solution is a support mechanism for the entirety of a supply chain providing the necessary tools for the promotion, adoption, and implementation of safe chemicals usage and responsible practices within factories and mills.